Re: [Question #39019]: can't connect to any wireless networks

psypher posted a new comment:
OK here is how I eventually got mine to work. Followed driver install from this site:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly?s=install%20ubuntu%20hardy
Look for the section: Enabling wifi (EeePC 900A and earlier)
After that I still did not have any wireless. Found a few posts mentioning removing the battery. Tried that, still no dice although not sure if that was one of the steps that made it worked, also not sure if that driver was the reason I made it work so read the rest before trying a different driver. Then I used the fn+wireless button and noticed that the wireless now says it's on (blue pop-up window related to FN keys) even though the network manager now says it's actually off. I thought this was weird and actually ended up holding fn down and pushing the wireless key repeatedly quickly. Suddenly I could see wireless networks and actually connect to them no problem. Now stupid me wanted to seamless connect between wireless and wired. Silly, I know, why would I want to do that??? Anyway plugged in wired and it did not switch over, even when trying to select it from network manager's menu. So I pressed the fn+wireless key again. OK wired now connected lets try go back to wireless. Nope, networks gone again. Pressed fn+wireless key bout 20 times, taadaaaa!! So NEVER doing that again cos it's really working well now, even from standby.

So I don't know where the problem lies. I have seen other posts
mentioning a bug where wireless only turns on for a few seconds and then
off. This is the same. If I play with the fn+wrls key I can see the
wireless led come on, the pop-up says it's on, and then a few seconds
later light goes off and pop-up says it's off. I didn't actually pay
much attention to those posts as at the time it did not seem to be the
same problem I was having so maybe there is already a fix for it or a
bug logged. Does anyone know?

Marfal, I understand your frustration. I also take great care to make
sure I am happy with an installation, on specific hardware, and it's
working 100% before I go all Linux fanboy on the people I am trying to
convert. But the problem is not Linux's fault or the dev's working on
Ubuntu EEE, which btw I think is awesome. Just the fact that u guys got
gnome as well as all those other apps on a 2G install is amazing. It
took me days on end to get no-where so well done there I really
appreciate it. I really did not want to run Xubuntu, although there is
nothing wrong with it, I just love gnome. :)

Anyway marfal the problem is with the hardware dev's. They don't have
enough resources to write drivers as well as for windows. And that is
unfortunately Windows' massive market share's fault.  But Linux is
growing fast at the moment and Ubuntu's helping that along very well. So
hang in there, if you have the patience get those annoying hardware
issues out of the way and working because in my book Linux is truly a
more superior operating system to MS or Apple's on the desktop and
server and has the most potential. I just love it and cannot imagine
using anything else even if it takes some tinkering.

And Jon, I am definitely using the latest Ubuntu EEE 8.04.1 from the www
.ubuntu-eee.com site, downloaded it last week.