Re: [Question #46926]: 701SD with Realtek wifi not working on fresh 8.04.1 install

marfal proposed the following answer:
I have the same issue, no wireless on eeepc 701 4G Black (2G ram) running ubuntu-eee 8.04.1 on SD 8G card
I followed instructions for Madwifi fix but didn't work for me.
Loaded ubuntu-eee 8.04.1 from thumb drive again to ensure I hadn't messed anything up myself.

No wireless again,

ran iwconfig

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Pushed fn+f2 which returned "wireless lan off" bluelight on (had to press fn+f2 several times to get it to change)
this time-

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ !!

sudo iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""  Nickname:""

          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Not-
Associated

          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:17 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1

          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

          Encryption key:off

          Power Management:off

          Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-96 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm

Still can't see wireless network (ssid broadcasting + security turned off) Stock xandros connects no problem.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network

  *-network

       product: L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter

       vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.

       physical id: 0

       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0

       logical name: eth0

       version: a0

       serial: 00:1f:c6:e5:b6:d6

       capacity: 100MB/s

       width: 64 bits

       clock: 33MHz

       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation

       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl2
driverversion=2.0.5 firmware=L2 latency=0 link=no module=atl2
multicast=yes port=twisted pair

  *-network

       product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter

       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.

       physical id: 0

       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0

       logical name: wifi0

       version: 01

       serial: 00:15:af:93:bd:df

       width: 64 bits

       clock: 33MHz

       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list logical
ethernet physical wireless

       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci latency=0
module=ath_pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

Tried sudo ifup ath0 which returned:

Ignoring unknown interface ath0=ath0

sudo ifdown ath0

ifdown: interface ath0 not configured

(blue light is on, network manager shows "enable Wireless" as ticked)

I hope this helps somebody figure out what the problem is.