ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

Re: Packaging emacs23 for Ubuntu

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I didn't find the time to look closer at the package yet, but instead of
> including a 11MB big quilt patch that ships the documentation, other
> alternatives to this would be:
>
>  a) reroll the orig.tar.gz with the docs included
>  b) copy them to debian/emacs-docs and copy them around in debian/rules
>
> a) is IMO the most elegant, and would be easy to implement if we had the
> script that creates the orig.tar.gz. If it really isn't included in the
> debian source package, we could ask Rob if he could share it with us.
>
> b) is IMO still better than the quilt patch as it would reduce the size
> a bit. The docs would however still end up in diff.gz.

We've got the script that Rob uses to make the orig.tar.gz file, and
I've even got a suitable branch for generating that tarball, with the
original content plus removal of .elc and compiled info files.

The case I'm trying to optimize for is: new (minor) version of the
Debian package comes out, someone requests it to be synced to Ubuntu,
the merge is easy enough that it can be done be merge-o-matic or
whatever tool they're using nowadays.  Major versions which involve
new upstreams could still require manual intervention, with the steps
documented in debian/ubuntu-maintainer.txt or something like that.

Would having a modified orig.tar.gz file hinder the above in any way?

--
Michael Olson  ||  http://mwolson.org/
Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS