ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: identifying obstacles in ubuntu gaming and pushing it forwards

Arc Riley wrote:
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Pedro Sosa <sosavpm@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sosavpm@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello to everyone
    I was even thinking that as a FPS engine we should use the Quake
    engine, OGRE for the RPGs maybe, there is anotherone called the
    Genesis3D don't know much about it

Who is this "we"?

The Ubuntu Gaming Team is not involved with the development of games, nor is there one solution for the free software gaming community in any genre of game.

I strongly feel that everyone on this list needs to become much more aware of the politics surrounding these issues. I know it was not intended, but a few people in the Debian Games Team (which packages games for Ubuntu) have already become miffed at some of the initiatives taken by members of this team in assigning bugs and proposing fixing the games packaging situation (which they know little about).

Similarly proposing specific library projects (ie, toolkit, game engine, etc) will only serve to alienate the alternative projects. In the above example, if I were to read the above email out of context I would be fairly irked by it as the maintainer of another game engine, as would developers and maintainers of many other game engines.

We, the Ubuntu Gaming Team, need to focus on promoting Ubuntu as a gaming platform and less about trying to decide what software or methods should be used to build games or what versions of which games are packaged. There are other groups, many other groups, you can join if those are your interests.

It's seriously confusing everyone to see this sort of discussion taking place here.