ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: An ubuntu-gaming project we can all agree on

Justin Dugger wrote:
> Rather than argue about who's role it is to develop or package games,
> I'd like to propose a small community project that isn't directly
> development related: Game Night.  There's plenty of open source
> network games out there, that lack a vibrant pick-up game community.
> Nothing's more depressing than seeing a surplus of servers and an
> absence of players, and we can probably help fix that.
>
> The project itself is simple: pick a night, a time, and a game and
> play it.  Community involvement could include a range of activities:
> * simply showing up to play
> * promoting the event
> * organizing a LoCo meeting in conjunction with the event
> * staff help channels for people who can't connect or have driver issues
> * moderating the activities
> * hosting any servers involved
>
> Of course, there's no need to go it alone here.  We could go out and
> invite existing server admins to join in, for example.  I encourage
> people to brainstorm other ways of engaging the broader FOSS
> community.  Anyone like this idea? Anyone like it enough to help make
> it happen?
>
> Justin

Hi,

I like the idea, at least this way we can start to populate some games
from within the Ubuntu Community, then later the Free/Libre Culture or
Community in general.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been logging to
GGZ (random times) and I still haven't seen it "populated", maybe I
joined in late and it used to be, or maybe I'm just in the wrong timezone.

For the Game "Night", I will leave that to the majority as I am in the
minority here when it comes to timezone.  I live in the Philippines and
so our TZ is ACT (ie Asean Common Time = UTC+0800), so "night" your side
is daytime for us ;)

I'm willing to help but more on 'blogging' only, and forum posts here
and there.  Currently loaded with projects and one of it was testing LAN
Games and Online Games popular here in the Philippines, and documenting
as needed on how I made it run in my machine.  As soon as I have the
popular games ready, I'll be submitting/proposing this to be part of our
Ubuntu (and Linux in general) campaign locally - we want to give iCafes
an option instead of being either a) forced to buy licensed MS-Win; or
b) get their PCs confiscated for having unlicensed MS-Win.

Anyway, to add we can also put in the list (sorry to mention a title)
Yohoho Puzzle Pirates, which I think will be enjoyed by many (it's
puzzles), as one of a more widely acceptable "initial" game night.  With
that said, we need to start with games that will be enjoyed by a lot of
people and temporarily avoid more serious(?) games like RTS, RPG, and
FPS.  Or, we can have sign-ups (sort like a commitment) and schedule
different sessions for Casual genre, RTS, RPG, and FPS genres.

More power to all of us.

Best Regards,
JC John Sese Cuneta

PS