ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: identifying obstacles in ubuntu gaming and pushing it forwards

I agree with the combination of commercial vs. FOSS games. I realize that
FOSS gaming is set as the focus point of this group, but I also believe that
we'd automatically lock away a large amount of potential high quality games
by ignoring the commercial factor.
Sorry to keep hammering on this, but as for the perceived reasons for the
lack of commercial game development, *the only real reason for a studio to
not develop a game on the Linux track* additionally to, say, 360, PS3 and
Windows, is the cost vs. expense relationship, and it's often not even the
developers themselves that we need to worry about.
Developers are almost always either fully owned by a publisher, or have a
project funded by a publisher. These contracts include which platforms the
game is being developed on, and the funding usually does not include
development on Linux - so this is something the studio would have to do
after the other platforms ship, on their own time - if the contract is even
permissive enough to allow for distribution of the game on a different
platform, or if they can talk their publisher into supporting it. Once their
project ships, however, they're usually worrying about other things - for
example, which project to try to get funding for next in order to keep the
company running.
So, as for big huge commercial development, it's not really as much the
studios we have to convince. It's the people who fund the development of
games - the publishers, and that's going to be a tough nut to crack. A big
AAA title isn't considered a success until >1.5M units sold (because it took
two years and $20M to develop). Even if the game is a straight port to Linux
and doesn't involve much additional development or content creation time, a
big-time publisher is unlikely to consider it except under one of the
following conditions:
-The Linux port would with certainty sell more than 300K units
-The publisher does not take responsibility for customer service, marketing
or distribution of the additional platform, or ideally, is even involved
with development of the port

The second here being the reason why LGP has been somewhat successful in
bringing commercial games to Linux.  It's a harsh reality, but if we want
big, commercial games on Linux, we have to get several hundreds of thousands
of people to buy them.

That being said, I think there are avenues we can use. Steam is a huge
factor in PC gaming, simply because it cuts the traditional publisher and
distributor out of the picture, which really enables independent developers,
and happens to skew the numbers in our favor. Independent games are already
having big successes, partially on and through platforms like Steam, and
independent developers are much more likely to take on the additional work
of porting to another platform.
I believe independent games is where the best chance of Linux as a gaming
platform lies. No publishers, enormous contracts, and scary legal teams
involved, and potential big successes to be had. If we can get lots of
successful, independent, commercial games on the platform, the big, huge,
AAA titles will eventually follow suit, because the big publishers will
eventually not want to miss out on that slice of the pie.
They just have to be sure that there's a pie to begin with, and I think that
independent developers eating it is the best way to show it to them ;)

Sorry for being so wordy. Didn't realize this was going to be so much until
I was done ;)