ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: identifying obstacles in ubuntu gaming and pushing it forwards

On 5/12/09, Arc Riley <arcriley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Don't we already have something like that? SDL, anybody?
>>

> some low level window/input frameworks used in free software games:
>
> GLX (roughly equiv to WGL)
> freeGLUT (free replacement for GL Utility Toolkit)
> FLTK (C++ user interface toolkit for X and OpenGL)
> SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer)
> GDK (GTK's window/input layer - small, efficient, and cross-platform)
> GTKGLArea (GTK extension to include a GL drawing area inside a GTK window)

Last time I checked SDL was nowhere as complete as DirectX. Correct me
if I'm wrong.
Game developers don't want to track 600 different frameworks for
creating games for Linux. (OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, ...). Linux must have
a unified gaming platform, otherwise it will never be a viable choice
for gaming developers.

Also I'd like you to read the following essay:
Playing the Open Source Game
By Shawn Hargreaves, July 1999
http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/games.html
--
## Przemysław Kulczycki >><< Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #