ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: identifying obstacles in ubuntu gaming and pushing it forwards

2009/6/17 Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx>

> There is launchpad and its type of course, but that isn't suited to music,
> level, texture and model
> creation. If someone creates an amazing 3D model of a game character,
> where do they put it?

For example on:

* http://opengameart.org/

Or one of the pages listed at:

*
http://wiki.freegamedev.net/index.php/Free_3D_and_2D_art_and_audio_resources

> If I'm writing a game, where do I go to find a pre-made model?

You don't, you create them from scratch. When you want a new good story you
don't go to ProjectGutenberg and start copy&paste bits and pieces either,
you write something from scratch. While some art is recyclable (mostly music
and generic textures), most simply is not if you want to end up with decent
results. You can't replace a good artist with a webpage.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to have more free art, a game character full
with walk cycle, jump animation and all that stuff could certainly be useful
either as reference or as placeholder.

> The code, libraries, engines etc. aren't the problem.

Most of the time they are as much of a problem as the art, as the engines
are unfinished, the export scripts being buggy and numerous other issues.

The core problem with games is simply that they are *a lot* of work. Free
Software works for other project because a Linux, Gimp or Apache has a
lifetime of well over 10 years, your average mainstream game has a lifetime
of maybe a month or two, after which it gets boring and you move on. So you
simply don't have time for incremental improvments.

Blog:     http://grumbel.blogspot.com/
JabberID: xmpp:grumbel@xxxxxxxxxx <xmpp%3Agrumbel@xxxxxxxxxx>
ICQ:      59461927