ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: Contest logger project

* On 2010 08 Jun 21:16 -0500, Steve Conklin wrote:
> I'm interested, but I'm not sure I have any more time to contribute to
> new projects, and I'm not a terribly effective Perl hacker.

Your interest is appreciated none the less, Steve.

> However, here's my in-process project:
>
> I hacked an xml export function into xlog that creates an xml data file.
> The data in the file is simple ADIF data in XML format, as I needed XML
> data for an experimental QSO mapping tool I mocked up using google
> maps.
>
> I am interested in specifying and implementing data formats for
> interoperability between ham apps, and will probably follow any project
> with an eye on that. I would like to see apps implement a set of hooks
> that can be used on top of changing data formats and transports, since
> these are not well defined or standardized yet.
>
> That's compatible with the goal of supporting different logging file
> formats (SQL, XMLRPC, whatever), so whatever project(s) move forward,
> this is the area I'm most interested in.

For now it seems that Cabrillo and ADIF export support will be enough of
a challenge.  Not to stray too far off topic, a separate tool that can
work from ADIF and convert it to the XML container and vice versa should
be a target project so that older programs that support ADIF only don't
need to be patched.

> I can almost promise you that I will not produce anything meaningful on
> these projects by field day.

That was (mostly) tongue in cheek.  :-)

73, de Nate >>