ubuntu-l10n-sd team mailing list archive

Let us get going

Dear friends,

If you go to the link

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/sd/

you will see that in all there are 1276 templates which need to be
translated. These templates contain words, phrases and strings which total
330,720. So far about 900 of these have been translated which makes a little
less than 0.3% of the whole.

I don't need to point out that it is not merely a numbers game. We need
quality as much, or even more than the quantity. We have to strive and make
translations that are accurate, precise, clear and fluid. This can be
achieved when we coordinate the effort. Some of us may be better at giving
initial suggestions, some may be better at improvising. Each of us has to
hone his ability to make maximum contribution. It is the final result that
counts and we are after.

We also want the experts of language and computer technology aboard the
team. While it is important to have fluid and functional translations, we
must also guard against too much nit-picking in this regard which will again
hamper the progress towards achievement of the objective. Let us also not
hesitate in getting and using, where feasible, benefit and clues from
efforts made by others for their languages such as Urdu, Farsi, Arabic and
Hindi.

You can go to this page

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

and then click on All Languages to view what others are doing and where
their efforts stand. For example, you can see that Pashto team, which has
only 11 members has already translated 16,000 words/strings while Urdu team,
despite more than 100 members has translated less than half as many words.

I again request you all for coordination and peseverance, which are keys to
success in this kind of effort.

With all the best wishes,

Abdul-Majid Bhurgri

Follow ups