Re: German edition

Hello, Daniel.

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Daniel Schury <Surst@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1. Copyright text.  There are two versions of the copyright page--one
>> for the print edition and one for the on-screen edition.
> Do you have it now?

Yes. I've added it to the manual.

>> 2. Translate the string "title page".  This refers to the first page
>> of the book (i.e., not the cover, but the title page on the interior
>> of the book).
> Titelblatt

Thanks!

>> 3. We need to use the English version of the Creative Commons license
>> for now.  If you'd like to include a paragraph as a preamble that
>> points them to a German language version on the web, you may.
> Why do we include the englisch version? Legal Issues? If yes, it would be:
> »Aus rechtlichen Gründen liegt die Lizenz nur in englischer Sprache bei.
> Eine deutsche Übersetzung finden Sie unter
> \url{http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/de/legalcode}

Yes, we have to use the English version for legal reasons.  We're
hoping to get all that resolved by the time the 10.10 release rolls
around.

I've added your preamble to the beginning of the license appendix
followed by the English license text.  Please have a look at it to
ensure nothing was lost in the copy/paste.

>> 4. Look at the Mitwirkende chapter and ensure that the line breaks in
>> the .tex file are correct. (They're not currently.)  The line breaks
>> in this section are important as LaTeX forcing line breaks in the
>> resulting PDF in the same location.
> What exactly was wrong? Is it better now?

Sorry, I should've been more clear.  The problem was that LaTeX is
breaking the lines in the PDF at the same point the lines are broken
in the source .tex file.  So the list of names and titles were being
run together in odd ways.  I've fixed the text in the .tex file so
they should be okay now.

>> 5. Spot-check some page numbers in the index to ensure they're
>> correct.  (Be sure to check some of the later page numbers -- they're
>> usually the ones that go off).
> What to do, if there are any mistakes? Found some, were they missed the
> page by 1, because the item was at the very end of the previous page.

There's nothing you can do on your end, it's just that I need to be
notified so I can make sure it all works out in the end.  I've build a
new copy of the PDFs (see below).  Please check that the newly
generated index is accurate.  If it's not, let me know (provide a
couple examples of incorrect page numbers) and I'll try to fix it.

>> 6. Translate the following text for the colophon:
>
> % Begin colophon text
> \smallcaps{Kolophon}
>
> Dieses Buch wurde mit \XeLaTeX gesetzt.
>
> Das Buchdesign basiert auf der Tufte-\LaTex{}-Dokumentklasse, zu finden
> unter \url{http://code.google.com/p/tufte-latex/}.
>
> Die Schriftart ist Linux Libertine, entwickelt von Philipp H. Poll. Sie
> ist als offene Schriftart unter \url{http://linuxlibertine.sf.net/} frei
> verfügbar.
>
> Die Überschriften und Randnotizen sind in Linux Biolinum gesetzt,
> ebenfalls von Philipp H. Poll entwickelt und unter dem gleichen Link wie
> oben erhältlich.
>
> Befehlszeilentext und Tastenkombinationen sind in Bera Mono gesetzt,
> ursprünglich von Bitstream Inc. als Bitstream Vera entwickelt.
>
> Die Bildschirmfotos wurden mit Quickshot erstellt, verfügbar unter
> \url{http://ubuntu-manual.org/quickshot}.
>
> Die Grafiken auf dem Deck- und Titelblatt enthalten Elemente aus dem
> Humanity Symbolsatz, verfügbar unter \url{https://launchpad.net/humanity}.
>
> Das Deck- und Titelblatt wurden mit Inkscape entworfen, erhältlich unter
> \url{http://inkscape.org/}.
> % End colophon text

Thanks! I've added that to the .tex file.

> If that's all, I'm looking forward to release the manual in the third
> available language :)

I think we're just about ready!

I've uploaded copies of the print and screen versions of the PDF:

  http://builds.ubuntu-manual.org/builds/ubuntu-manual-de-print.pdf
  http://builds.ubuntu-manual.org/builds/ubuntu-manual-de-screen.pdf

Please double-check the text you gave me in the last email (to ensure
that I didn't muck up the copy/paste [especially with regard to the
accented characters]).  Check the index again.

If all is well, I can upload the PDFs to lulu.com and our website.

Oh, for the lulu.com site, I need you to translate the following list
of keywords for me:

  Ubuntu Manual, Ubuntu, user guide, handbook,lucid, lynx, 10.04,
lucid lynx, help, documentation,book, pdf, ebook, free, open source

Feel free to add any other keywords you like to that list.

Thanks for all your help, Daniel!

--Kevin Godby