Re: Meeting Minutes - 1 May 2011

2011/5/2 Kevin Godby <godbyk@xxxxxxxxx>

> Minutes of the General Meeting of the Ubuntu Manual Team
>
> Date of meeting: 1 May 2011
>
> Location: #ubuntu-manual on irc.freenode.net
>
> Meeting logs:
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/05/01/%23ubuntu-manual.html#t21:08
>

> Attendees:
> * godbyk (chair)
> * ChrisWoollard* (minutes)
> * c7p* (minutes)
> * rickfosb (editor in chief)
> * Hannie
> * IlyaHaykinson
> * CrustyBarnacle
> * JasonO
> * Teotw
>

> Kevin Godby called the meeting to order at 20:08 UTC.
>

> Screenshot resolution update
>
> Currently the screenshots are taken at a resolution of 1024×768.  This
> generates screenshots that can take up a lot of space on the page.
> godbyk offered to create a PDF that shows the screenshots being
> limited to the width of the primary text block (as opposed to the full
> page width).  This PDF may be viewed at
> <http://builds.ubuntu-manual.org/builds/narrower-screenshots-test.pdf>.
>
> We need to decide if we want to limit the screenshots to this width or
> if they look better at their original width.
>

> Maverick edition
>
> The string freeze for the Maverick edition has been set for 14 May
> 2011.  After the string freeze, a translation template file will be
> uploaded to Launchpad so that translation teams may begin work.  The
> final preparations will then be made and the Maverick edition will be
> published.
>
> Chris Woollard will review the contributors list and add a past
> contributors section.  The current contributors will be listed at the
> top (with roles/titles) and the past contributors below (names only).
> Translation editors will be listed in the English edition. Individual
> translators will be listed in their translated edition only. Chris
> will also alphabetize the contributors' names.
>

> Natty edition
>
> The current chapter assignments may be viewed at
> <http://bit.ly/gG59j7>.  Rick Fosburgh will check in with the authors
> and editors regularly to assess the progress of each chapter and
> determine if more authors and editors are required.
>
> The following timeline was established for the Natty edition:
>
> * Milestone 1: lock down what needs to change (1 week)
> * Milestone 2: all sections are in, at least with stub content (week 5)
> * Milestone 3: copywriting down (week 10)
> * Milestone 4: content freeze (copyediting / screenshots done) (week 13)
> * Milestone 5: release (final bug testing done) (week 15)
>
> The natty bazaar repository will be created by Kevin Godby as soon as
> the Maverick edition has been finalized.
>

> E-book and other formats
>
> We've had some requests for additional formats including a Kindle
> e-book and a large-print edition.  Kevin Godby will test different
> formats for generating a Kindle-compatible PDF and a large-print
> [...]
Hello Kevin, good job on minutes :).
I think the pdf that you generated with the narrowest images is more
aesthetically pleasing, if it looks alright on paper too, i propose the
narrowest images, i have some reservation. There are some screenshots that
seem to be smaller than they should e.g screenshot on pages 48, 22 and some
need to be clearer -i don't know if it is because of resolution or because
of other reasons-. If there is any way to tackle these two problems, i think
this type of screens are here to stay !

Thank you !
--John