Re: Incorrect pictures on the web page

Hello Kevin

Some good questions. I'll answer them as best as I can.

> 1. Is it easy to generate a translation template file (.pot) that can
> be uploaded to Launchpad to allow our website to be translated?
> 2. Can we then use translation files (.po or .mo) downloaded from
> Launchpad on our site to display translated versions?

I have never heard of .pot, .po and .mo. I also have not tried
localisation with WordPress. However, it does appear to have these built
in, including for Poedit (I think that's what you mean):

  * http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress
  * http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress#Translating_With_Poedit
  * http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress#Translating_With_Gettext_Tools
  * http://betterwp.net/wordpress-tips/create-pot-file-using-poedit/

> 3. Can WordPress handle something like our current Downloads page
> <http://ubuntu-manual.org/downloads> that allows people to download
> the manual in their language and format of choice?

Yes. However, if there isn't already a plug-in for that, there are three
options that I can think of:

 1. Ask someone to develop a plug-in for this.
 2. Use a static page for this particular one (this probably is not a
    good idea).
 3. WordPress allows HTML within pages, so this can be done; in
    conjunction with some hand-written PHP, it should be fairly easy to do.

There may be other options, such as using Javascript, but I'd have to
find out about that. Other people would have done this already, so it is
a problem that has been solved --- we just have to find out the easiest way.

Kevin, I suggest:

  * I shall set up a test WordPress site.
  * I shall set up localisation.
  * With your help, we can test a couple of .pot files that you specify.

If it works, we can then check whether WordPress would be helpful (and
use it) or not (and find something else).

How does that sound?

Paddy