Re: User name in screenshots

> ... I only see two solutions worth considering:
>
>   * have screenshot teams in every language in which the manual is (or
will be) translated capture language-specific screenshots to be included
only in those translations.
>   * place a disclaimer at the beginning of all manuals explaining that
the screenshots included in all translations of the manual represent
standard English conventions and that other languages and constructs may
change the textual representation and/or layout of the what is actually
seen locally on the user's computer.

> I'm in favor of the latter.

I agree; the latter seems the better.

It's simple and quick, and covers all contingencies.

Translating a user persona into many languages seems to be plenty of
work, which is fine if you can get the volunteers.

In any case, worrying about which name to choose is a bit unnecessary.
As an English speaker, I have no problem seeing (say) "Susan Taylor" in
an example screen-shot (in fact, this is less distracting than seeing a
meaningful name, such as "John Doe").

The only important thing is not which name is chosen, but rather
consistency between screen-shots, so that all relevant shots contain the
same name.

Paddy