Re: User name in screenshots

Hello Jim,

Am 10.08.2012 19:15, schrieb Jim Connett:
> It does seem, however, that the discussion is getting mired in
> acceptable "name holders" used in various languages, and to include
> the multitude of possibilities across all translations of the
> manual would force the translation teams to be involved in more
> than just "translating" the manual, which, too, has already been
> mentioned in this thread.

In my point of view, creating of an other language version is of
course not only "translating" but also capturing localised images or
choosing (if available) local URLs. For example in the English version
there is a link to http://ubuntuforums.org, then I choose for the
German version http://forum.ubuntuusers.de, and other translation
teams would choose their local links.

> And when the name has been changed, we then would have to consider
> the language of the text in the screenshots...and then the language
> in the text of the applications, which most always are in English,
> and then, and then......

Maybe I didn't get your point here, but if there are applications
which have English texts where you expect your local language, then
you are welcome at [1] to improve the applications.

> - have screenshot teams in every language in which the manual is
> (or will be) translated capture language-specific screenshots to be
> included only in those translations.

Yes, this is right and is already the current situation. Have a look
to the different language versions on [2] and you see, that all the
screenshots are localised.

> - place a disclaimer at the beginning of all manuals explaining
> that the screenshots included in all translations of the manual
> represent standard English conventions and that other languages and
> constructs may change the textual representation and/or layout of
> the what is actually seen locally on the user's computer.

Sorry, but I disagree in this point. If I'm new to a topic and find
after some search in the internet a document in my own language
(beside the huge amount of English information), I would be not very
happy to see a mixture of translated text and English pictures...

> I'm in favor of the latter.

This would be in fact an easy way, but a less qualitative way, too and
a big step backwards.

This discussion was initially started with the question "'Ubuntu User'
or only 'Ubuntu' as username in the localised screenshots?". The
general localisation of the screenshots was (from my side) not topic
of this thread.

Greetings, Carsten

[1] https://translations.launchpad.net/
[2] http://ubuntu-manual.org/downloads

- --
Hier ist mein öffentlicher GPG-Schlüssel:
http://daswaldhorn.piranho.de/gpg/