Re: Authoring of "getting online" done

Hi Hannie.

On 19 September 2013 07:52, Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Hi David,
> Good question! Whether a word should be explained in the glossary or not
> is a choice of the author or editor. Personally I think switch is rather
> technical and does not need to be explained in a beginners' guide (just my
> 2 cents).
> Hannie

I do understand your point when you say that a switch is a rather technical
piece of equipment, and I'm aware that most users are familiar with the
term router and not with the term switch, but I was trying to point out is
that it doesn't seem to make much sense that since they're used in the same
sentence demonstrating how a wired connection can be obtained, one has a
call to it's description (and it's the one most users already know its
purpose) and the other does not.

I need to correct my description of a switch in my previous mail as it
wasn't grammatically correct.

*A switch is a computer networking device that **receives** data from any
device connected to it and then transmits that data only to the device for
which it was meant.*

Regards,
David