ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Offline content ideas / brainstorming

Hi all,

At the last NGO meeting, people raised the need for some 'Offline
content' that would help NGOs and make an Ubuntu computer more useful in
an area with little or no internet.

There are a few possibilities for what we could use. I'm sending this
email to get some idea flowing and brainstorm a bit.

 * Wikipedia

One of the most popular websites in the world, this is a free content
encyclopedia. They provide database dumps so you can create a CD or DVD
of static HTML pages. People can then distribute this disc and everyone
can have an encyclopedia on their desktop. Camara ( http://www.camara.ie
) has been distributing a skinned wikipedia for a few years and it's
very succeful and popular.

You could make a selection of wikipedia, or the whole thing. What would
be the size of it?

 * OpenStreetMap

OpenStreetMap ( http://www.openstreetmap.org/ ) is a wikimap. It's a
freely edited copyleft map of the world. It's not full finished. However
it usually has much better coverage of developing cities than the likes
of Google Maps.

We could send a static dump of this data, so people can have a map of
the world on their desktop available anywhere in the world.

 * Linux Guides

Linux and Ubuntu is great, there are so many guide and howtos... on the
web. People need to be able to know how to use and *fix* their computer.
 We should make a selection of Linux guides and documentation. What
possible sources could we use? TLDP? A datadump of wiki.ubuntu.com
(what's the copyright about that?) Datadump of ubuntuformums
(copyright?), etc?

Any more ideas or suggestions?

Rory