ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Introductions...

I work for a small not-for-profit called Aptivate - http://www.aptivate.org/

We mostly do contract work for other NGOs to support their work - we
have several jobs building custom web apps at the moment, using django
if we get to do a fresh start. We've also set up internet cafes in
rural Africa and trained the locals who run it and train other users -
again working with an NGO partner who knew the area. We've written a
bit of software on our own based on work we've done - in particular
http://www.loband.org/ is a web service to compress web pages and
pmgraph is software to visualise your bandwidth usage - see
http://www.aptivate.org/Projects.BMOTools.pmGraph.html for more on
that.

We use ubuntu on our own desktops and some of our servers, and we used
it in rural Africa. We used LTSP to reduce the amount of UPS required
to keep the service reliable with intermittent power - one server and
several low power thin clients worked well for that.

When running servers we've found the deb package format to be a lot
less friendly than rpms for doing our own ad hoc packages for our own
servers.

Hamish Downer