ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Introductions...

> Could you send a mail to this list explaining
>
> - who you are

Thanks for starting these introductions Daniel.

I am Brad Crittenden (bac on IRC) and for my day job I work for Canonical on Launchpad.

> - which NGO or other organisation you work for

In my free time, I work with the Vietnamese Nôm Preservation Foundation, a cultural NGO working to conserve and digitize old texts from Vietnam that are written in Nôm, an ideographic script like Chinese that was used before the current Vietnamese Latinized alphabet.

> - where your organisation is involved

We are comprised of volunteers in the U.S. and in Vietnam, mostly academics and Vietnamese-Americans, with me being the oddball.  We also employ four staff in Vietnam who work for us full-time.  Additionally, we are the official representative for Nôm to the IRG, the organization responsible for adding new characters to Unicode.

> - how you make use of Ubuntu there or would like to use Ubuntu

I've recently installed an Ubuntu server with 6 TB of disk in our Hanoi office to act as a file server and development platform for some web apps we're writing.  Unfortunately our staff are already trained on Adobe Lightroom for doing the image processing, so the client machines are Windows machines.

> - what you see as biggest stumbling blocks in terms of using Ubuntu

The installation and adoption of the Ubuntu machine in the office was very smooth.  Training our IT guy to use it has been difficult due mainly to language barriers and his lack of familiarity.  I've been trying to teach him the importance of using the packaging system instead of his habit of downloading source code and installing it manually.  Due to the fine work of ubuntu-vn, HanoiLUG, and others Ubuntu is nicely localized for VN.

Arky I'd like to chat with you some and learn more about your project.

--Brad