ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Introductions...

Who am I?

Andy Loughran

Which NGO or other organisation do I work for?

I was working for a medical charity, called 'Love the One' when I joined
ubuntu-ngo.  However, now my interest is mainly personal.

Where you organisation is involved?

The organisation was based in India, in both Kerala and Chhattissgargh
States.

How I made use of Ubuntu, and how I would like to use it in future.

I don't think there's scope for really detailing my experience in the
introduction email, suffice to say that I wasn't afforded enough time to be
able to complete what I wanted to as far as ubuntu was concerned.
Unfortunately, there was also the 'cult of mac' whereby 6 months into my
internship, instead of going down the ubuntu route, two of the Doctors
surprised my by turning up with Macs - then spend the next few months
complaining that I wasn't as good at fixing them as I was for their WinXP
machines.

What would be the biggest stumbling blocks?

IT provision is a full-time role, not a part time one :)  I needed to have
more time to be able to achieve what I wanted, as well as having the support
of the charity.  I ran some simple stuff like a CMS for the charity website,
and ended up using Google Apps for email (purely for the simplicity).  We
were only a small organisation, so expanding IT use was really out of
scope.  The other problem I had was massive infrastructure disruption, with
power being intermittent, and in some cases non-existant.  Sometimes paper
just works best.

Why am I still here?

I'd like to keep updated on the way in which NGOs are currently using Ubuntu
- new approaches - and the way in which traditional IT supply chains can be
disrupted productively by using an OSS/Ubuntu solution.  I have a couple of
other charities which come to me for procurement advice, so keeping up to
date with this list

Regards,

Andy