ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Introductions...

On 11/29/2010 05:51 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
  - who you are
Carl Leitner.
  - which NGO or other organisation you work for
I work for Intrahealth International which is NGO largely funded by USAID.
We do Health Care Systems Strengthening with particular focus on Human
Resources for Health.
  - where your organisation is involved
Pakistan, Togo, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania + Zanzibar, Botswana
Lesotho, India, and hopefully many more to soon follow.
  - how you make use of Ubuntu there or would like to use Ubuntu
We have developed a suite of Human Resource software
  https://launchpad.net/ihris-suite/
designed for use in low-resource environments and which address particular
needs of the health workforce. Our software is built on the LAMP architecture
and we mainly support Ubuntu.
  - what you see as biggest stumbling blocks in terms of using Ubuntu
The first is finding people with a large experience in Ubuntu in country. We do
training (see for example)
http://www.capacityproject.org/hris/blog/index.php/2010/09/carl-leitner-begins-his-journey-to-the-his-unconference-in-ghana/ but it would be nice to have a known pool of local Ubuntu experts we can draw on,
as well as trainings that we could send our developers/administrators to.

The second is technical: We have "Appliances" that we use:
   http://www.capacityproject.org/hris/suite/ihris_appliance.php
and have had huge problems with software RAID especially on distribution upgrades

It'd be great if we could identify this way where commonalities in the
team are and if we can find folks who would like to work on solving some
of the problems together.

Thanks a lot in advance, let's revive this list again!

Have a great day,
  Daniel