ubuntu-nz team mailing list archive

Re: NZ Loco Team Introduction

On 19 March 2010 17:18, Jaco <ubuntumuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Some context is called for then: On Monday, I start as AltSpace's
>> Community Manager. AltSpace is a coworking space in central Wellington for
>> consultancies, free lancers & other people who like the freedom of
>> independence but don't like the isolation of working at home. The policy for
>> community events is, if the organisers don't charge attendance, we don't
>> charge them.
>>
>>  Nice one! (altspace.co.nz ?)

That's the site :)

> You referring to something similar to a MakerSpace/HakerSpace?
> http://makerspace.org.nz/

No, it isn't really for people with soldering irons, unfortunately.
AltSpace/coworking is about creating a sense of community for people that
run their own businesses. It's a way to have an office for a few days a
week, with wifi & other trappings included. It's also quite good for
business people when travel to Wellington.

> We're only now getting the Auckland one up; still early days.

Keep me posted. I have my own aspirations to build a UAV (
http://diydrones.com/) for disaster reconnaissance (
http://bit.ly/nz-sahana-cluster)

>  Ergo - if anyone in the Wellington area would like to start a series of
>> meetups/hackfests/software miscellany, then there's space available for
>> exactly that purpose.
>>
> Some people make more use of social network sites to draw people
> (crowdsource?): MeetUp, FaceBook, Twitter/Identi.ca, etc
> May be worth while tapping those resources too

Totally. I'll wait until things have settled in place. I'm also quite aware
there's a point when 'new & interesting' becomes spam. I don't always want
it to be my name to the right of sender.

Tim.