Re: [design] rotation

Hi all,
I think I can answer a couple of your questions around orientation; yes we will support orientation and there'll be an API for that as Nathan said. In terms of supporting orientation from now on, there are some things to remember.*

Phone stages (default phone + tablet side stage)*
1. The primary orientation for an app on the phone is portrait
2.Consider using landscape orientation when we want to have a full screen experience for a single piece of content, such as watching a video, looking at a photo or gaming. 3. A phone app automatically fits in the side stage on the tablet (both orientations), with a flexible height.*

Tablet stages*
1. The primary orientation for an app on the tablet is landscape
2. Consider portrait orientation when it will help the user engage with your app; for example reading a magazine or writing a long email.

*A similar question on scaling was also mentioned in the emails yesterday, here's what we have in mind at the moment (some of you might have seen this already):*

Your app needs to handle all aspect ratios from different devices to orientations. We consider two strategies which both must be considered for your app to be scalable: responsive layout and responsive content.*

*Responsive layout **
To design your app layout responsively
1. Position UI components relatively
2. Reflow content based on space available, for example increase / decrease the number of rows and columns of content*

*Responsive content**
Decide how your app might show more or less content for different shapes and orientations, for example 1. Your app in the side stage with a list of content, for example a feed, will show more content than when it is on the phone. An app on the tablet's main stage would also show more content than on the phone 2. If your app fills the screen size on a phone and nothing more, you'll find yourself with extra room in the side stage (height, not width). Consider what content your app could show in this extra space, be it the history of a calculator, a list of missed calls or even high scores! 3. Your app whose content is larger than what fits in view, for example a map, might consider showing more or less content depending on shape and orientation. 4. Your app whose content is fixed in shape can simply scale up to run on the tablets main stage, showing the same amount of content.
/
If your phone app does not scale, it will remain a fixed height in the side stage./

I hope this helps a little, we're working on this content for the app design guides, illustrating these points to make things a clearer, everyone loves a diagram right!

Cheers,
Christina