Re: [Development] Qt/QML Python bindings

On 03/21/2013 12:56 AM, Alex Chiang wrote:
* Robert Bruce Park <robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Well, I can't speak for the whole company in any official capacity,
but my impression as a low-level grunt is that there is a large
internal push to move away from Python,

I think this statement is quite misleading and gives the false
impression that there is an organized internal push to migrate
off Python inside Canonical.

There is not (that I am aware of).

I would say that there is a well-known public push, documented in
our blueprints, to move away from *long running* Python processes
in our stack.

Even that is not necessarily true, we want to reduce the cpu and memory usage from the current long running python processes, and the first suggestion was to move to another language (which might not necessarily fix the issue).

We could improve the performance even with python, by doing things differently, but that will depend on the people doing such optimizations.

That all said, I am also unaware of any plans, pro or contra, to
bring python onto the phone.

There's not a clear pro or contra, it's just that there's no way to work on UI based apps using python + qt5 atm (not an easy and maintained way, with qml and such).

As we don't have time to make the bindings and use it as a first class citizen, we'll be focusing on using qt5 + qml directly.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo