Re: Addressing the lack of Trademark License for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook Core Apps

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:07:40PM +0100, Gilbert Röhrbein wrote:
> Thank you very much for responding! What I understood by reading your mail:
>
> * Twitter Core App cancelled
> * Facebook continues until Facebook says something
> * Gwibber is full steam ahead

That is what I said.

> So what are you thinking about the UX problem, that people searching
> for Twitter, won't find the native app, though there is one – but
> they find the webapp instead?

I'm disappointed that the work I've done on gwibber over the last 7
months will not benefit the Twitter app. However, it sounds as though
users who seek out a twitter app will discover one -- it will just be
a browser that displays m.twitter.com, instead of anything that was
built by the Ubuntu community.

> Also, as a side question: where can I find out about the intended
> differences between Twitter Core App and Gwibber? Will Gwibber not
> be designed from the ground up with the Ubuntu Vision in mind and
> the Content found in services like Twitter?

I don't know what you mean by 'the Ubuntu vision'. As far as I know,
the vision is convergence, and Gwibber is already one of the better
apps in terms of running both on the phone and on the desktop. Gwibber
is also entirely capable of downloading and displaying your Twitter
tweets, it just will not have any official twitter branding on it, so
people who like Twitter a lot will be unlikely to find Gwibber when
they get their new Ubuntu phones. Even though Gwibber will be better
about downloading tweets in the background and notifying you when they
arrive (Twitter won't be able to notify you about anything when it is
not running).

As far as "the differences between Twitter Core App and Gwibber",
Twitter Core App was intended to be little more than a Gwibber
frontend that hides facebook/non-twitter messages. Maybe it would
implement a few features that Gwibber didn't have but we were really
hoping to absorb as many features as possible into the gwibber core,
in order to benefit from code-reuse across projects.