Re: Addressing the lack of Trademark License for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook Core Apps

On 22.03.2013 23:35, Robert Bruce Park wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:07:40PM +0100, Gilbert Röhrbein wrote:
So what are you thinking about the UX problem, that people searching
for Twitter, won't find the native app, though there is one – but
they find the webapp instead?

I'm disappointed that the work I've done on gwibber over the last 7
months will not benefit the Twitter app. However, it sounds as though
users who seek out a twitter app will discover one -- it will just be
a browser that displays m.twitter.com, instead of anything that was
built by the Ubuntu community.

I just checked searching "Twitter" in Unity "12.10" on my laptop. Result is just the webapp, though Gwibber is installed.

I wrote it already in this thread, but didn't get any response. What do you think about a feature, that Unity should know about keywords of an App and also search in them... So searching for "Twitter" would result in the Twitter webapp and Gwibber (cause the Gwibber .desktop file contains a keyword "Twitter")?

What the intended way of a user would be on a phone to find an app, I am not sure about. I guess their is usually some visual search for the logo and the name. Maybe, starting a webapp could suggest using a native app, fitting the service the webapp would offer? I am not convinced about it.

I am searching for a way that users, even first-time users, will accept that Gwibber is the app to use Twitter, Facebook, whatever.

Also, as a side question: where can I find out about the intended
differences between Twitter Core App and Gwibber? Will Gwibber not
be designed from the ground up with the Ubuntu Vision in mind and
the Content found in services like Twitter?

I don't know what you mean by 'the Ubuntu vision'.

Oh well, shortminded as I am, I just thought about http://design.ubuntu.com/apps/get-started/design-vision

But yes, convergence. Important. I summarize how I understood you again:

* Gwibber capable of downloading and displaying Tweets
* no branding of Twitter
* superiority of Gwibber compared to webapp (background job)
* Twitter Core App intended to be little more than Gwibber frontend
* Gwibber should contain ALL THE™ features

Like I thought. I can't make up a reasonable cause why there is something like Twitter Core App other than branding. Right?

The existence of twitter and facebook core app boils down to a branding issue? And their removal to a different branding issue? I believe Gwibber needs to be advertised and fine.

	Gilbert