Re: How to make deb package?

On 04/09/2013 08:12 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
hi,
On Di, 2013-04-09 at 19:57 +0300, Zoltán Balogh wrote:
Actually it is not that difficult and we have good tools. The pkgme,
pbuilder and the dozen of wrapper apps make packaging simple.

But regardless how good wrappers and how well automated toolchain we
invent to make it even more simple the developer still need to have the
information for the control file and at least have some idea what
license is the best for the application.
is there any reason to build the package (instead of uploading it to a
PPA) ?
all my above comments in this thread were solely referring to create a
source package once you are done with programming and have a ready to
run app (that you tested in qmlscene or by using a device (or even by
using a yet to come emulator) in an unpackaged manner ...

there should be no need at all to build a binary package locally ... our
sdk should just make sure a source package is created and probably have
a "publish to PPA" button where the binary package then gets built ...

*if* someone wants to do a local build i would consider that an advanced
task for which you can indeed use a pbuilder or some such ... generally
creating a *source* package should be completely arch agnostic though
and easy to automate from the sdk ...

ciao
	oli

Using PPAs for crossbuilding is a great feature of the Ubuntu ecosystem. No doubt about it. But uploading to a PPA and apt-geting the ready package is significantly slower than local crossbuilding.

In general I agree with you. The order of possibilities are the following:
1. stick to QML/JS, so you will not even hear about the problem of cross build 2. do your app on your PC and when it is ready just create the source package and upload to a PPA. This feature will come to the SDK tools latest in October this year. 3. if you have no armhf PPA acces or you are not happy with the performance of the PPA build use the device for building the binary package. This feature is already available in the SDK 4. In case you still do not want to use the PPAs for build and you do not have access to an armhf device use the pbuilder based tool what will come with the SDK at later point 5. If you can not or do not want to do any of these join to the #ubuntu-touch channel and reach out for help. I am sure somebody will offer hand for packaging.

bzoltan