Re: How to make deb package?

On Apr 09, 2013, at 07:12 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

>*if* someone wants to do a local build i would consider that an advanced
>task for which you can indeed use a pbuilder or some such ... generally
>creating a *source* package should be completely arch agnostic though
>and easy to automate from the sdk ...

There are generally two reasons to do a local build.  The first is turnaround
time.  PPAs can be slooooooow ;)  The second is to debug the build, either
because you want to make sure your upload will work (i.e. to avoid
soul-destroying delays due to #1 above :) or because the build is *not*
working in the PPA and you can't figure out why from the log file.

In these cases, I've found the sbuild regime to be excellent since you can set
it up to retain the chroot either after a failing build or all builds, then
you can drop into the chroot and poke around, interactively tweak makefiles,
restart builds, etc.

-Barry