Re: [Design] The "Don't Bug Me Unless You Have a Super Reason" Use Case. Anticipated?

On 13-06-26 04:00 AM, Zisu Andrei wrote:

>     There's no idea in Randall's email.  If a user doesn't want to be
>     disturbed by incoming calls, he should mute his phone.  The essay
>     in the link complained that his phone showed 20 missed calls.  In
>     that case, the user should activate airplane mode.
>

>     Randall's stated goal is that he doesn't want others to call him
>     on the phone unless they've scheduled in advance, and the way you
>     enforce that is to turn on your phone 5 minutes before the
>     scheduled time.
>

> I'm honestly not sure you understand the use case.
>
> What Randall and the essay guy are proposing is to have a list of
>  accepted contacts for a certain phone profile. Say I'm at work, I
> only want to recieve calls from my girlfriend and mum and maybe some
> call that that I have scheduled in my calendar. All the the others can
> be either rejected, or rejected and smsd or something.
>
> I'm pretty sure I saw that on my dad's old Nokia (6303, Symbian).
>

> Zisu Andrei

Yes, this clarifies the use case I was attempting to describe. Thank you
Zisu!

To add more detail:

1) The phone remains on, always. Though convenient from an
implementation/programming standpoint, I'm not interested in the no
phone, or phone off "solutions". I have that now.

2) The phone "knows" who can interrupt me with an inbound call, and who
cannot. Scheduled people can obviously interrupt me, and so can a list
of people that are appropriate for my current location/context. Some
examples:

    a) I'm at work. My customer (boss) and some immediate project/team
members can interrupt me. Friends and other contacts cannot.

    b) I'm taking public transit. No interruptions are allowed as I
cannot have a meaningful (or private) discussion on a crowded train.

    c) I'm on a forced "no contact with work" vacation (banks do this to
help prevent fraud). Anyone with a work context may not interrupt me,
but others may.

    d) I'm at UDS (or vUDS) and hosting an important session. A relative
is having surgery at the same time. I want no interruptions except if
its an emergency.

    e) I never want to take a call from a person who is stalking me.

Without getting into a detailed design, I can envision the phone taking
cues about context from:

  i) GPS (Where am i? How fast is my position changing? Am I at an
unusually high altitude?)

  ii) My calendar (am i scheduled to have a call with someone now, or soon?)

  iii) Parameters in my contacts list (Is this person on a list that
permits them to interrupt me? e.g. sabdfl always has that privilege.)

  iv) Voice recognition (e.g. Similar to the way call-screening works on
voice mail, the person needs to say the nature of the call, and voice is
pattern-matched to determine who it is before sounding the ring tone)

I hope this clarifies further.

Cheers,
Randall.