Re: [GSM RADIOS ON PORTS]

[]'sf.rique

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Tony Espy <espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/08/2013 11:52 PM, Henrique Santos Fernandes wrote:
> > I have a Galaxy S (B) And can afirm that radio doe snot work on my phone.
> >
> > It seems the build is using blobs and not building ril for some reason...
> >
> > I asked on the list while ago, at beginning i got some help, but they
> > just stop helping as the problem got more difficult i guess.
>
> Some older Android phones may have shipped with a fully binary RILD, as
> opposed to the newer phones which combine a binary vendor library with
> an open-source wrapper ( in the AOSP tree, see
> /hardware/ril/libril/ril.cpp ).  As our project was originally started
> using ICS, we assume the newer RILD model, and as such, we patch ril.cpp
> to remove the socket credential check.
>
> This check is performed by libril asking for the socket credentials of
> the remote process, then calling getpwuid() to get the matching
> username.  If the username returned isn't "radio", then the socket is
> closed.  Game over.

I saw that.

> > When i was playing around i did some modification on ( ubuntu side ) and
> > where able to get SMS and Signal from rild, but all modifications i did
> > had patches on ubuntu repository to not be needed, and then i find out i
> > was not using ril compiled from repo.
>
> If you were receiving *any* messages from RILD, then what I just
> described is not your problem.

I guess what you described is exacly my problem, to get the SMS working i
had to add the usar radio and change some stuff on ofono.

Acuatly, you were the one in my last post that told me  that my rild wasn't
with the pact applied, but my repo had the pacths. So i figure out that was
using blobs. So i start to try to get to compile the rild without success.

> > Well, i decided just wait for it.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by just wait for it?  This is not something
> I've been working on, as it's clearly an issue with older phones only (
> ie. pre Android ICS/4.0 ).  In your case, the Galaxy S originally
> shipped with Android 2.2, and was never officially upgraded to 4.0 or
> greater.
>
> That said, here are some next steps...
>
> 1. Figure out is whether or not you're actually hitting the credentials
> problem.  If you're working with up-to-date touch images ( or fairly
> recent ) this should be obvious by looking at either /var/log/syslog in
> the Ubuntu container ( I'm assuming you're running non-flipped ), or use
> abd logcat to look for the error reported by the RILD process.

Did that already, and it is the problem.

> 2. If the credential problem *is* what you're facing, then you could try
> the following workaround which *might* work ( again, assuming non-flipped
> ):
>
> Add the following line to the end of the /etc/passwd file in the Ubuntu
> container:
>
> radio:x:1001:1001:radio,,,:/home/system:/bin/bash
>
> Now, change ofono's Upstart job to start ofono as the "radio" user by
> adding a "setuid" line to /etc/init/ofono.conf:
>
> setuid radio
>
> For reference:
>
> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#setuid

Did sort of this, i mean only some stuff did not do the trick, i had to
start the ofono by hand only change upstart did not work at time, don't
recall why.

I work with linux server, thats why i was su frustraded, i could not get
the ubuntu to run well on my device.

> This *may* not work due to the fact due to container PID namespaces
> being used.  If so, the only way I around it would be to patch the
> password library inside the Android container in such a manner as to
> spoof the identity of the calling process.  I suppose you could possibly
> do something like only map the user "ofonod" to "radio", however as the
> two process are running in different PID namespaces, with different
> passwd mechanisms, this might be tricky.

I did get the radio to work, i got signals and receive SMS with sucess. But
when reciving a call, the phone just freezes. I did this a while ago.

Before the change to the raring.

> Finally, as it's really hard to debug a problem like this via email on a
> high-volume mailing list, please enter a touch-preview-images bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+filebug

As you said, is this realy a bug? Should i try to work more on this? Now
this phone is with my Dad, i bought a Nexus 4. ( because it has good
support with ubuntu also )

It seens cannonical is not looking to work on low end devices.

I wish i had more time to work with ubuntu, once o bought ( last week )
Nexus 4 i though i could play with my galaxysb but my dads phone died and i
am giving it to him.

Here are my first post to the list about this problem i guess.

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg01339.html

Thanks.