Re: [GSM RADIOS ON PORTS]

On 07/09/2013 11:03 PM, Henrique Santos Fernandes wrote:
> []'sf.rique

<snip>

>     2. If the credential problem *is* what you're facing, then you could try
>     the following workaround which *might* work ( again, assuming
>     non-flipped ):
>
>     Add the following line to the end of the /etc/passwd file in the Ubuntu
>     container:
>
>     radio:x:1001:1001:radio,,,:/home/system:/bin/bash
>
>     Now, change ofono's Upstart job to start ofono as the "radio" user by
>     adding a "setuid" line to /etc/init/ofono.conf:
>
>     setuid radio
>
>     For reference:
>
>     http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#setuid
>

> Did sort of this, i mean only some stuff did not do the trick, i had to
> start the ofono by hand only change upstart did not work at time, don't
> recall why.
>
> I work with linux server, thats why i was su frustraded, i could not get
> the ubuntu to run well on my device.

Sorry for your frustration.  That said, you were working with early (
pre-raring ) developer preview images, in addition to porting to an
older phone.

>     This *may* not work due to the fact due to container PID namespaces
>     being used.  If so, the only way I around it would be to patch the
>     password library inside the Android container in such a manner as to
>     spoof the identity of the calling process.  I suppose you could possibly
>     do something like only map the user "ofonod" to "radio", however as the
>     two process are running in different PID namespaces, with different
>     passwd mechanisms, this might be tricky.
>

> I did get the radio to work, i got signals and receive SMS with sucess.
> But when reciving a call, the phone just freezes. I did this a while ago.

OK.

> Before the change to the raring.
>

>     Finally, as it's really hard to debug a problem like this via email on a
>     high-volume mailing list, please enter a touch-preview-images bug:
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+filebug
>

> As you said, is this realy a bug? Should i try to work more on this? Now
> this phone is with my Dad, i bought a Nexus 4. ( because it has good
> support with ubuntu also )

It's up to you.  If your dad needs a phone, seems like that might be the
greater good in this instance.  See my note below about a possible
change we may make due your email.

> It seens cannonical is not looking to work on low end devices.

It's not that the device is "low-end", it's that it's *old*.  There's a
difference.

> I wish i had more time to work with ubuntu, once o bought ( last week )
> Nexus 4 i though i could play with my galaxysb but my dads phone died
> and i am giving it to him.

OK.

At this point, we're still going to investigate making the "radio" user
change as discussed above.  Perhaps this will make things easier for
someone else working on this port in the future.

Thanks again for your help!

/tony