Re: GSettings schemas for phone/tablet settings

Al 18/07/13 18:32, En/na Marc Deslauriers ha escrit:
> On 13-07-18 12:12 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>> Le 18/07/2013 17:29, Marc Deslauriers a écrit :
>>> FYI, App developers will not be able to use GSettings in the current version of
>>> the SDK because of application confinement.
>>
>> Hey Marc,
>>
>> The specific usecase there is having the touch system settings application set
>> up a few "system settings", that would include e.g:
>> - the background image (read by unity8)
>> - the ringtone (read by the phone-app)
>> - things like "silent mode" that should be respected by a few applications
>> (phone, messaging, ...)
>>
>> The gsettings restriction doesn't apply to the core applications, right? Which
>> means we should be fine for what we have been doing?
>
> Yes, core applications that ship with the device, like unity, the phone-app,
> etc. will be run unconfined. We'll probably confine some of the standalone core
> applications though, such as the calculator.

Hi Marc,

Some of the core apps (Clock and Weather are such examples) might need
to get system-wide settings such as the current location or time zone
(assuming that is stored in the system settings app).

What's the guidance in these cases? For instance, does this seem correct?

- Use GSettings to read (*) the system-wide settings
- Use Qt's LocalStorage to store in-app settings

Note: when I'm talking about core apps in this context, I mean those
developed by our community, many of which are already shipped in the
default images:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone-coreapps

Thanks.

Cheers,
David.

(*) Or write, if e.g. clock should be able to set the system-wide
current location from within the app. Currently it stores it as an
in-app setting.