Power management policy

Hey guys,

What I find interesting in the iPad (I just have one because I need it for
work) and recently in Mac OS Mavericks is their power managent policy.

Put simply, in iOS, except a few very special cases, you applications will
be stopped when they go into background. So the foreground app gets full
reign of both memory and CPU. This also has a very beneficial effect on
battery life - in Android, apps running in the background still eat cputime.

What OS X Mavericks is doing is taking this idea further into a noteboook
environment [1] with their application nap and timer coalescing. You really
only get the most out of your battery.

While this might not totally work in an environment like Ubuntu, would it
be possible to throttle the foreground application and slow down the
background ones?  What would this imply? Is it do-able in the current state
of Ubuntu Phone, or do we need extra things at kernel level?

[1] http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/advanced-technologies.html

Zisu Andrei

Follow ups