Re: _My_ top N list

On 01/11/13 16:15, Jason Felice wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My plan is to shut off my iPhone as soon as possible and use my Nexus 4
> as my only phone.  I expect this to be pretty rough, but I had fun
> running Slackware 3.6 back in the day.
>
> (I'm going to be at Øredev next week, can't use my Verizon iPhone to
> Sweden, so this will be the maiden voyage.  Hope to see some of you there.)
>
> Oh, and before I start - YOU PEOPLE ROCK.  I hope this doesn't appear to
> be a whine fest, rather a dispassionate attempt to disclose my own road
> blocks.
>
> NEEDS
>
> 1. Twitter (push notifications & sending)
There is the twitter web app and the Freinds (settings→accounts to add
your twitter account) qml client that both handle twitter okay.  Note
neither do notifications currently but it's on the road map aiui.

> 2. Text
SMS works fine

> 3. Voice
Works fine

> BLOCKERS
>
> 1. I need to get all my Google contacts onto the phone.  I don't see a
> way to do this.
http://sergiusens.github.io/posts/google-contacts-on-ubuntu-touch.html
From su - phablet onwards.

> 2. Vibration for notification of texts OR clear indication of messages
> on the home screen (see below).
Can't help you here it doesn't exist yet.

> 3. I frequently lock up the UI of the phone.  Often when swiping to
> unlock or see a message.  This seems to cause the UI to restart, or
> sometimes I have to reboot the phone.  This clears my messages and I
> therefore miss messages.
You can open the messaging app, the message should still be there. But I
don't remember this happening for a while are you sure you are on the
1.0 release on the 100 or 101 image?

> URGENT (BUT NOT BLOCKER)
>
> 1. Mi-fi
As I understand it you can set this up via the terminal but it isn't pretty.

> 2. The ability to fix broken apps (I seem to get them into broken states
> rather frequently, and I'd love to be able to find the QML, see where
> logs are, know how to report things and fix them).
It's all in Launchpad on the whole if the code is available, most logs
are in ~/.cache/ and ~/.cache/upstart

> 3. The ability to prevent the phone from sleeping when I ssh to it to
> poke around.
Ssh and adb in all you want the fact the phone is not displaying
anything doesn't stop you doing that.

> EVENTUALLY
>
> 1. Starbucks (I'll try my hand at this one)
> 2. A real Twitter
The web apps is real twitter from the web it doesn't get any more real ;)

> 3. A decent navigation app
You can use google maps from the browser but there is no agps currently
so it takes a while for the initial gps setup to run.  There is also a
mappero map in the works by the look of it.

> 4. A timer (I use it for doing laundry)
There is a timer in the clock app

> 5. Pandora
There is an app for that, Panpipe.