incomplete apport core dumps [was: Re: Touch image 120 results]

Hey all,

sorry for the ridiculously late reply to this, I just found that reply
in my drafts folder; seems I forgot to send it.

Steve Langasek [2014-01-13 11:17 -0800]:
> So the question is, is 30 seconds actually long enough for apport to finish
> crash-handling of unity8?

It really shouldn't matter. At least some time ago, once a process
crashes and the kernel starts piping its core dump, the process is in
deep kernel sleep where it's unkillable anyway. So no matter how many
SIGTERMs and even SIGKILLs you throw at it, it always ought to finish
dumping core. Unless you kill the "apport" instance, of course.

Do we actually have evidence that core dumps are incomplete due to
killing unity8, or is that rather that we don't get core dumps at all?

Martin