Re: Landing team meeting 19.03.14

On 20.03.2014 09:24, Selene Scriven wrote:
> I've also noticed that our media player doesn't seem to support
> very many video codecs.  I had difficulty finding videos it can
> actually play.  This most likely isn't a regression, but it'd be
> awfully nice if we could add in the full lavc / ffmpeg codec set,
> and be able to play practically every video format ever made.

The "industry standards", i.e. mp4 / mov / flv with h264 and mp3 should
play just fine. AFAICT shipping lavc is not an option due to licensing.
And then it adds a whole lot of MBs to our image size with all the
dependencies.

> That is, assuming the hardware can handle it.  I think we're
> still using software decoders, considering that my battery charge
> level actually went down during playback even though it was
> plugged in.  (and that was on a low-bitrate 640x352 video;
> probably drains faster with HD video)

No, it's not playing in software - if battery is drained during playback
that's a bug.

> (would also be pretty cool if we could include support for
> mounting nfs and samba shares directly and playing media from
> them)

*cough* geek alert *cough*

But for real, a network-share browser would be part of the content-hub
story, I imagine. You'd browse the remote shares and either share the
actual content to a music app (which would then actually be downloaded
to the device), or just a playlist (which would then be streamed,
assuming gstreamer can actually stream from whatever source that is).

--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Services Ltd.