Re: Landing team meeting 19.03.14

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Michał Sawicz
<michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 20.03.2014 09:24, Selene Scriven wrote:
>> I've also noticed that our media player doesn't seem to support
>> very many video codecs.  I had difficulty finding videos it can
>> actually play.  This most likely isn't a regression, but it'd be
>> awfully nice if we could add in the full lavc / ffmpeg codec set,
>> and be able to play practically every video format ever made.
>
> The "industry standards", i.e. mp4 / mov / flv with h264 and mp3 should
> play just fine. AFAICT shipping lavc is not an option due to licensing.
> And then it adds a whole lot of MBs to our image size with all the
> dependencies.

We had lavc / ffmpeg and had to remove because of licensing issues.
Even if we add them back, software decoding is currently broken, so it
wouldn't help.

>> That is, assuming the hardware can handle it.  I think we're
>> still using software decoders, considering that my battery charge
>> level actually went down during playback even though it was
>> plugged in.  (and that was on a low-bitrate 640x352 video;
>> probably drains faster with HD video)
>
> No, it's not playing in software - if battery is drained during playback
> that's a bug.

We're only doing hardware decoding, so it might be indeed a bug in our
gst-hybris stack. Would you mind opening a bug for that? I know Jim
changed the dequeue timeout values before, and that directly affects
the amount of cpu used, so we might have a regression (probably need
some further fine tuning).

>> (would also be pretty cool if we could include support for
>> mounting nfs and samba shares directly and playing media from
>> them)
>
> *cough* geek alert *cough*
>
> But for real, a network-share browser would be part of the content-hub
> story, I imagine. You'd browse the remote shares and either share the
> actual content to a music app (which would then actually be downloaded
> to the device), or just a playlist (which would then be streamed,
> assuming gstreamer can actually stream from whatever source that is).

Streaming from nfs/samba should probably work already, but we'd need
someone to give that specific url to the mediaplayer-app.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo