Re: Dialer-app Customization

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Jodie Robinson <
jodiematthewrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've just been a lurker here, but I'd like to ask if it'd be possible to
> make a number pad show up instead of a full keyboard when responding to
> USSD prompts?
>
> All the responses I've ever had to make after issuing a USSD code have
> been numerical, and Android gives you an entire keyboard of useless
> buttons.(Also the keyboard covers up the send and cancel buttons).
>
> For instance:
> I dial *188# to get my service provider menu. I press 1 and send to check
> my airtime balance.
> Option 2 was to buy a bundle, and so on.
>
> I dial some USSD code for my cellphone banking. I get a menu to which I
> must respond by typing a number, choosing to check my balance or transfer
> money, etc.

You can respond to a network initiated USSD request with any character
string. However, it is true that most USSD dialogues require the user to
send a number selecting an option in a menu. Maybe that can be done is to
show by default a numeric pad when responding to USSD requests, but letting
the user switch to the alphanumeric keyboard to make sure we cover all use
cases.

> Just a suggestion, and hopefully not too out of place in this thread.
>
> One other thing with regard to carriers: is there to be the sim toolkit as
> an app? I recall it in older versions of Android, but don't see it now.

SIM toolkit is in the telephony blueprint, but no dates yet.

Br,
Alfonso