Re: Dialer-app Customization

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Chris Wayne <chris.wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Now that USSD code support is soon going to be in our images, it's time we
> discuss how we can allow a carrier to customize the dialer app.  Some ideas
> that we've come up with so far:
>
> * Visual theming: Showing the operator's logo on the 'Loading' screen
> that's shown while a USSD code is running, or showing the logo in the Snap
> Decision

+1 on this.

> * Custom Hooks run on USSD codes: Maybe running an operator's specific
> USSD code pops up an app that shows them their minutes/data usage or allows
> to pay the bill?  Or maybe running #2# pulls debug information from the
> phone and sends it to the operator

I do not see the point of this. If the operator wants to go through the
hassle of implementing a specific application for Ubuntu for showing data
usage, voice minutes, etc., or similar apps that interact with the operator
systems, I do not think they will want it to get started through an MMI
code (as Zsombor correctly remarks) in the dialer. The operator will
probably want the app to be shown as a normal app in the phone, and avoid
needing some esoteric code to get it started.

This said, what we should do is let that potential operator app communicate
with the network using USSD codes. The SDK should provide an API for this,
as I guess it does for sending/receiving SMS for apps.

> * Ubuntu specific USSD codes:  To enable disable settings without having
> to launch the settings app

We can do here as some OEMs do and use MMI codes for things we want hidden:
enter a debug mode, for instance.