Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

Oliver Grawert [2014-05-02 22:46 +0200]:
> how about making the usage of /etc/default/ mandatory for all our own
> services so we can easily disable them

Please please not. Parsing these has been a huge pain, source of bugs,
and unnecessary shell scriptery for a long time, in both the upstart
and tne systemd world. Also, they have no standardized format, so this
is opposite to "easy".

Both upstart and systemd have standard ways how to disable a service
"foo": Create an upstart override with an empty "start", or "systemctl
disable foo". Soon, update-rc.d in Ubuntu will work for all three
systems (Debian's already does, we need to merge), so IMHO update-rc.d
should be considered the standard interface for disabling/enabling
services with any init system.

Please let's kill default files whose only purpose is to
enable/disable the service.

Martin