Re: ownCloud app.

Hi Mitchell,

On Friday 15 August 2014 09:47:07 Mitchell Reese wrote:
> Hi Daniel, definitely keen to help with an owncloud sync setup.
> Currently I've got my phone syncing files with my owncloud server - I'm
> syncing the Documents, Picture, and Video folders as a cron job every
> hour, and the rest of my user settings (.local & .config, mainly) once
> per day. Not an end user solution, as I've had to (initially) make the
> image writeable, install owncloudcmd (headless owncloud client), and
> setup a cronjob pointing to a couple scripts with crontab -e. Now that's
> done however, file sync is enabled and maintained through OTA updates -
> the image is no longer writeable.

Cool stuff.. I'm a bit worried that you're just lucky though. Not really sure
if its a good idea to install something manually and switch back to OTA
upgrades. But I'm no expert on OTA stuff. Maybe someone else can shed some
light how to do such a thing more reliable. I guess you could install the
stuff into /userdata/ or /home/phablet/ to avoid enabling rw mode in the first
place.

> I'm keen to have a go with contact sync - I'd also be interested in any
> other advice to get this happening. For now I'm hoping to manage this
> through the syncevolution client via the terminal - UI is not my strong
> point.

This should work just fine for syncing contacts with owncloud:

http://notyetthere.org/syncing-ubuntu-touch-with-owncloud-or-any-carddav-server/

The post is a bit dated by now in a sense that the fix described in there is
already in the image now. That means you can jump straight over to the
"Configuration" part without installing anything. Calendar should be just the
same although I haven't tried it myself.

I investigated a bit yesterday to integrate it with the accounts ui and think
I have some decent understanding of what needs to be done but didn't succeed
much yet. Will keep on trying.

> Shall we move this discussion to the Google+ Ubuntu App
> Developers community, so we're not clogging up this mailing list? Am
> aware of how quickly things are moving at the moment with the RTM
> images, and would love the opportunity of bouncing ideas back and forth.

I for one prefer the mailing list, however, the cross-posting is not really
helpful indeed. Wherever the discussion continues, it should be just one
place.

Cheers,
Michael