Re: ownCloud app.

hi,
Am Freitag, den 15.08.2014, 09:34 +0200 schrieb Michael Zanetti:

> Cool stuff.. I'm a bit worried that you're just lucky though. Not really sure
> if its a good idea to install something manually and switch back to OTA
> upgrades. But I'm no expert on OTA stuff. Maybe someone else can shed some
> light how to do such a thing more reliable.

there are surely 100 non-obvious things that will break :)

the obvious one is that after the first OTA your apt and dpkg databases
are replaced with the ones from the image. so everything you installed
is gone from them and the system will not know about them anymore.
most likely your binaries will still be there (not much different from
what you get by compiling stuff from source and running a "make
install".)

if your package registers with the system anywhere (i.e. a new gstreamer
plugin that registers with the system gstreamer database) this will be
overwritten as well ...

if you don't install any complex things with only libs and binaries
manual install and switching back to OTA will work. as soon as your
packages interact with the system at installl time to register to some
system configuration, this configuration will be removed by OTA
upgrades.

ciao
	oli