Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Landing team - RTM landings now officially open!

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 11:57 -0700, Robert Park wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Rodney Dawes
> <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Then the only reasonable way to do that is to develop two completely
> > separate sets of MPs in parallel against different targets. You can't
> > target a single branch to two different targets to land at the same
> > time. It can/will cause problems if people try to do it.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, it should work fine if
> you develop your branch once, and then make two different MPs
> targetting the same branch against different targets (one against
> trunk, one against rtm branch). It's true that you can't target one MP
> to multiple targets, but you can have multiple MPs proposing the same
> branch into different individual targets.

This won't work (for long if it works at all). Basing a branch against
trunk, and proposing against a different target, will propose any and
all changes otherwise already in trunk, as well as your changes, to the
secondary target. Also, trunk and the rtm branch will have diverged
after the first landing in the rtm branch, which will create further
problems.

One must create separate branches for each MP, and merge the same
changes being proposed to trunk in, and resolve any probable conflicts.

And debian/changelog will pretty much always conflict, and be the point
of divergence for trunk and the rtm branch, as it will always have
different versions and/or timestamps, for each landing.

There's no way to reliably solve these conflicts automatically. So
additional branches will have to be made, and the needed changes copied
in.

This will only become more evident after release, and trunk diverges
further away from the rtm branch, while we'll presumably also need to
occasionally fix bugs in the rtm branch until we can drop support for
the older release (depending on whether we can upgrade current rtm users
to the next release when it comes out, and contractual agreements for
support of the older release).