Re: Heads up: default app namespace format has changed

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Alberto Mardegan
> <alberto.mardegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > How are you obtaining the developer name? Is it from the login in the
> store,
> > or from the name of the click package?
> > I'm just worrying about possible collisions, in case people name the
> click
> > package like it.mardy.apps.<appname>; if you get the developer name from
> the
> > click, you might be getting "apps" for many different users.
>
> Just like they are now, they are chosen by the developer.
> Dots are no longer allowed in package or developer names, so it really
> is packagename.developername, and once you own developername, noone
> else can use it, so you can't get apps for other users.
>

> We do, however, require that that username isn't already claimed in
> Launchpad by someone else. It's not enforced in software right now,
> but if you abuse it you will likely loose it down the line.

It doesn't seem that requiring a launchpad account for developers is viable
as many do not and will not have them. This also implies someone can grab a
developer name in LP after someone else has used it to publish.  I would
expect a store based registration. (which could in the backend use LP I
suppose)

Pat