Re: Heads up: default app namespace format has changed

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Pat McGowan <pat.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It doesn't seem that requiring a launchpad account for developers is viable
> as many do not and will not have them. This also implies someone can grab a
> developer name in LP after someone else has used it to publish.  I would
> expect a store based registration. (which could in the backend use LP I
> suppose)

We don't require a Launchpad account at all. We require that someone
else hasn't already taken that username in Launchpad. If you happen to
have a Launchpad account, and own that username, you get to use it.
It's essentially a blacklist.
Someone can indeed grab it in Launchpad after someone is using it in
the store, and they won't be able to use it. This current restriction
is to bootstrap our existing community and help them move over to a
snappier world without loosing their well-known usernames.

--
Martin