Re: Keyboard documentation

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM, Bogdan Cuza <bogdan.cuza@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well the feature freeze is a bit disappointing, this means that they won't
> get through until vivid is released, right? BTW, I think you mentioned in an
> email in this thread that if we aren't able to do the testing, you could do
> it, because I have no idea how to test it, I just followed a template.

You can test the layout on the emulator or on the phone.

What you need to do is copy the appropriate files onto the device in
the correct directories.
The minimum steps (read: quick and dirty) to do are:

1. Change the root partition from read-only to read-write.
sudo mount -o remount,rw /

2. Edit the file /usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/ubuntu/KeyboardContainer.qml
so that you add your language code. See, for example,
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/10458032/

3. Add your layout files into
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/ubuntu/lib/
in a subdirectory called by your language code.
For Greek, that would be
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/ubuntu/lib/el/

See the filenames at
https://github.com/simos/ubuntu-touch-greek-keyboard-layout/tree/master/el
For my quick & dirty testing, I only edited the "Keyboard_el.qml"
file. All the rest are bogus and taken from other layouts.

4. Change back the root partition from read-write to read-only.
sudo mount -o remount,ro /

5. Then, check the list of they keyboard layouts and add your newly
created layout.
Note that we did not add the name "Greek" in the appropriate file, so
it appears as "el" in the list.

Simos