Landers, please pay attention to silo conflicts [Was Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Train Feature]

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 07:14:02PM +0000, Brendan Donegan wrote:
> Does this mean that it will not be possible for it to attain the QA
> sign-off needed status? Or would it be possible to get into that state
> before becoming dirty? I suppose it would but just checking

Having the same package in multiple silos at the same time is still allowed,
so it's certainly possible for a silo to be submitted for QA sign-off and
afterwards be marked as dirty.

The original intent of the train here was that conflicts would be detected
at silo assignment time, and the developers who were submitting silos in
parallel were expected to coordinate amongst themselves to decide which silo
takes precedence for landing, and which silo would be a "test" silo.  If
we're finding now that silos are being submitted for QA signoff when they
cannot (both) be landed, this is a failure of coordination.

The code change Robert has made to prevent known-dirty silos from being
submitted for QA is a useful safety net, but the train only "knows" which
silo is dirty fairly late in the game.  Landers need to take responsibility
for avoiding conflicting silos being submitted to QA.

Landers, please pay attention when the landing team tells you that your silo
has a conflict.  The trade-off from allowing liberal self-management of test
silos is that you *must* coordinate with your peers when there is a silo
conflict.  If we can't make this work in a way that doesn't waste the QA
team's time, then I think we should reconsider whether these kinds of test
silos should be allowed.

Thanks,
slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx