Re: Allow installing apps from ubuntu touch app store without creating an account

--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 01.04.2015 19:35:53
An: zed123 zed <linux5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Allow installing apps from ubuntu touch app  store without creating an account

> On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 19:04 +0200, zed123 zed wrote:
> > From what i read the main "problem" about this is that there
> are/will
> > be apps that require an account(for in app purchases/persistent data).
>

> > So i would say, simply require an account for apps that require one,
>
> > and allow downloading without account for apps that don't need one.
>
> > I think this should be quite easy to do, but that's just my guess on
>
> > this.
>
> Feel free to write a competing app store that doesn't require accounts.
> You will quickly find that writing an app store is not so easy.
>
> As Martin already stated, having apps that may have purchasing, or which
>
> might want to synchronize data with Ubuntu One, are not the only reasons
>
> for requiring an account.

Afaik there are tons of appstores for android, so i doubt that would be so hard.

>As a developer I find it quite helpful to be able to distinguish between the number of downloads and number of users who downloaded my app. The latter obviously requires some sort of account.
I doubt this is so important, never heard a developer complain about this. Especially not important for free apps i think.

>Moreover, I believe that some people might refrain from downloading applications which require an account if they can download others who do not require one.
>Personally, I never downloaded any app from the Ubuntu (desktop) Software Center which required me to create an account before I had to read the EULA for the account on my Ubuntu Phone.
It should be up to the user if he wants an account or not imho. I think it depends more on the quality of an app/ its ratings whether users will download it. Maybe you don't download the first app requiring an account, but as soon as you've seen two or more apps without a good alternative which require an account you might change your mind.
Just don't force account creation for a system that, afaik, has openness in mind.