Re: Ubuntu Store – application order

Thanks to all of you for answering here while I was sleeping.

To me it seems that we agree we should improve the sorting algorithm. I
acknowledge the problem of having no way to deal with unfair reviews but I
believe this should overall be separated from the sorting problem, even
though a better sorting mechanism might relativise some bad reviews.

Until now, we've had two suggestions: the Bayesian average and the solution
mentioned by Selene, where each app would get a 3 star rating by default
which would be adjusted later when people start reviewing the application.
In my opinion these are pretty good solutions, with each of them having
their individual advantages or disadvantages.
The Bayesian average tries to predict what would happen if plenty of people
were asked to rate the app but apps without bad reviews only still rank
better than those without any reviews.
Selene's method solves the latter, but depending on the implementation it
might be disadvantageous for apps with few reviews. It would be nice to see
a code example here. Selene, is your music player open source?

My next question: I'd love to help implement the new ranking mechanism. Is
the code for the app store backend available somewhere so that I can
retrieve and modify it? If not, who is the person to talk to?

Cheers,
Niklas