Re: Ubuntu Store – application order

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Niklas Wenzel <nikwen.developer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Until now, we've had two suggestions: the Bayesian average and the solution mentioned by Selene, where each app would get a 3 star rating by default which would be adjusted later when people start reviewing the application.

As I read it, Selene's approach is the Bayesian average with m=3 and C not specified. (m being the prior and C being our confidence in it, the same notation as http://fulmicoton.com/posts/bayesian_rating/.)

It would seem to me that setting m to be the average review would be more accurate. Or, perhaps the average review minus the standard deviation, so that an average app with more reviews ranks above an average app with none.

The Bayesian average tries to predict what would happen if plenty of people were asked to rate the app but apps without bad reviews only still rank better than those without any reviews.

No, the Bayesian average ranks apps with no reviews as m. Any app with a rating below m will rank below the non-reviewed app.